Call Number 5 for Short Term Scientific Missions (STSM) Applications
5th Call for STSM Applications for Missions Occurring between 30.10.2017 and 15.03.2018
All STSM activities must occur in their entirety within the dates specified above
Purpose of a Short-Term Scientific Missions (STSM)
STSM facilitates Researchers from COST Countries participating in COST Action CA15106 to go to an institution, organisation or research centre in another participating COST Country to foster collaboration and to perform empirical research. Participation of “Early Career Investigators” (ECI) in STSM is particularly encouraged. An applicant can be considered as being an ECI when the time that has elapsed between the award date of the applicants PhD and the date of the applicants first involvement in the COST Action CA15106 does not exceed 8 years. PhD students are also eligible to partake in STSMs.
Specific information concerning STSM
STSMs can have a duration of between 5 days and 90 days (and up to 180 days if the applicant is an ECI – see definition of ECI above).
The financial support on offer is a contribution to the overall expenses incurred during the STSM and may not necessarily cover all of the associated outgoings.
The following funding conditions apply and must be respected:
- up to a maximum of EUR 2 500 in total can be afforded to each successful STSM applicant;
- up to a maximum of EUR 160 per day can be afforded for accommodation and meal expenses;
- for ECIs, a maximum amount of EUR 3500 can be afforded to the Grantee for STSMs with a duration of between 91 and 180 days
For ECIs partaking STSMs with a duration of between 5 and 90 days, the limit of EUR 2 500 must be respected;
- STSM activities must occur in their entirety within the dates specified in this call.
Financial support is limited to cover travel, accommodation and meal expenses and is paid in the form of a Grant.
For this call, the Management Committee of COST Action CA15106 “C-H Activation in Organic Synthesis” (CHAOS) has allocated a total budget providing good chances that the maximum sum can be awarded. The amounts granted for each individual STSM will be determined during the evaluation process by the formally appointed person (s). The selection of applicants is based on the scientific scope of the STSM application which must clearly compliment the overall objectives of the Action.
How to apply for an STSM:
Interested researchers can apply by following the directions provided below and submitting their application and supporting documents to Tatiana Besset (mailto:email@example.com), by the deadline of the 20/ 10 / 2017. All the documents should be submitted in a single PDF file.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS AS FOLLOWS:
- All applicants must carefully read the funding rules detailed in Section 7 of the COST Vademecum.
This document is available at: http://www.cost.eu/participate/guidelines.
Note that Short-term scientific missions (STSM) are exchange visits between researchers involved in a COST Action, allowing scientists to visit an institution or laboratory in another COST country.
- All applicants must register for an e-COST profile at https://e-services.cost.eu/ – adding their bank account details to their profile.
- All applicants must obtain a letter of invitation from the Host institution confirming that they can undertake the STSM on the given dates prior to submitting an application.
- All applicants must complete, submit and download their STSM applications online at: www.cost.eu/STSM.
- All applicants must send their submitted STSM application form and the relevant supporting
documents to Tatiana Besset (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) before the application submission deadline expires. Note that the STSM applications will be evaluated by a panel of three researchers: Erik Van der Eycken (mailto:email@example.com), Doron Pappo (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) and Tatiana Besset (mailto:email@example.com).
The list of supporting documents to be submitted for the evaluation are:
- Letter of invitation to the applicant from a senior researcher affiliated to the Host institution
- The submitted STSM application form (downloadable when the online application is submitted – see point 4 above)
- This document should be duly completed (from p 4, part I-III (Project description, Impact, Collaborators); please rename the document as 5_ STSM_Application_2017_Name)
- A motivation letter including an overview of the proposed activities that will be performed, which must contain a plan of work for the visit highlighting the proposed contribution to the scientific objectives of the respective COST Action;
- A letter of support from the Home Institution or the supervisor;
- A Full C.V. (including a list of academic publications – if applicable).
- The application will then be assessed by the formally delegated person to Tatiana Besset (firstname.lastname@example.org) against the perceived contribution that the proposed visit will make against the scientific objectives outlined in the Action’s Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- The applicant will be formally notified of the outcome of their STSM application by Tatiana Besset (email@example.com) on the 26/ 10 / 2017.
- Within 30 days from the end date of the STSM, the successful applicant must submit a scientific report to the Host institution and to Tatiana Besset (firstname.lastname@example.org). The applicant is also responsible for acquiring an official acceptance letter / Email confirmation of acceptance from a senior Researcher affiliated to the Host institution formally accepting the scientific report. This formal acceptance of the scientific report has to be sent to the Grant Holder and to Tatiana Besset (email@example.com) for archiving purposes.
Failure to submit the scientific report within 30 days from the end date of the STSM will effectively cancel the Grant.
(Please note that the COST Association can request additional information to substantiate the
information contained within the documents submitted by STSM applicants).
Deadline for applications to be submitted: 20 / 10 / 2017
Notification of application outcome: 26 / 10 / 2017
Period of STSM: between 30/ 10 / 2017 and 15 / 03 / 2018